Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Mystery of Driving

I 've been in the passenger's seat for too long and one of my goal this year is to be a licensed driver. I had my learner's permit since 2002. I didn't pursue my license eagerly in the past because I didn't see it necessary since I can't afford a car. Fortunatley, I made my parents so happy and proud in finishing nursing this year that they extravagantly set aside a car money for me. I saw the cheque, I saw it! Their not backing out in one condition-- I need to show them my driver's license.

How hard can a driving test be? I gladly driven and faced the exciting traffic and ubrupt changing climate of Metro Manila. I also driven a in the the torrid dessert of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) ... I'm destined to be a driver...

But for some reason, I just can't qualify to get a level 7 license. Don't even ask how many times I took my driving test. I'll give you the equation and leave it at that: atleast once a year I tried.

I wonder why? my baby brother and sisters enjoy my driving.

To be honest, I'm getting frustrated but I still have my hope, I still dream of long trips and joy rides for my future, convoys and drive throughs as well...

Few months ago, I went to Philippines to visit my family and here is the list that I learned from expert jeepney drivers and experienced cab drivers. I also included the lessons I learned watching drivers in Canada.
  • When on a one way street, stay to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.
  • Never, ever, stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.
  • The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it.
  • Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive bodywork. The other guys might be looking for an insurance claim and doesn't have anything to lose.
  • Turn signals will give away your next move
  • Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is considered going with the flow
  • The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit
  • If you want your insurance company to pay for a new rear bumper, come to a complete stop at all stop signs
  • Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable in during rush hour
  • Master street corners where police mobile typically park.
  • Never speed up in a lane construction closure. As my professionally licensensed beloved friend says, it's "double-the-penalty" if you get caught.
  • Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire
  • If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his left turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is safe to pass. But he may be wrong.
  • If a driver approaching from the opposite direction flashes his headlights it may mean, "police ahead, watch your speed", or "I have screwed up big time by trying pass this vehicle so please give me some room by heading for the shoulder."
  • The largest vehicle has the right of way, except deer always have the right of way and squerrels come second.
Therefore, before this year ends...
I will be a licensed driver.


No comments: